Join us on March 16, 2019 in Laurel!
Join us on Saturday, March 16 from 9 AM to 1 PM at Laurel Middle/High School for our 7th annual community health fair & local partner expo, The Heart of Good Health. This event is free and open to everyone, so bring your family, friends, and neighbors!
Nanticoke is pleased to host this community health event for all ages. Health education, health professionals, screenings, healthy living demonstrations, and many activities for the whole family will be available throughout the day. For more information, call 302-629-6611, ext. 8948.
Thank you to the Laurel School District and the Laurel and Western Sussex communities for your continued support of this great event. Last year’s event was a huge success!
THANK YOU to our sponsors:
Fabulously Fit Sponsors:
Eating Right Sponsors:
Location & Directions
Laurel High School
1133 S. Central Avenue
Events & Activities
Schedule of Events:
9:00 am – 1:00 pm: Vendor tables & health screenings open
- Health screenings are free to the public. (Pre-registration is not required.)
- Vendors include representatives from many areas of Nanticoke along with other area non-profit organizations, state health resource vendors, local businesses, and many for-profit organizations providing services related to a healthy lifestyle.
10:30 am – 12:00 noon: Autograph Session with Matt Judon, Linebacker for the Baltimore Ravens.
- Autographs are free to the community.
- Please bring your own item to be autographed; items will NOT be on sale at the event.
- One autograph per person please; you are welcome to return to the end of the line for a chance to receive a second autograph.
- Mr. Judon is on a tight schedule, so please get in line early!
- New this year, we are asking all autograph recipients to bring a non-perishable food item for the Healing Harvest Inpatient Food Closet. Donations are appreciated, but not required.
- Items of greatest need include: Canned Meats, Peanut Butter & Jelly, Canned Milk, Canned Fruits, Other Non-Perishable Food Items, and Personal Care Items
Scavenger Hunt Raffles:
This year’s health fair will feature two scavenger hunt raffles. Participants must be 18 years or older to enter into either raffle. Entry cards will be available at the registration stations and must be returned to registration before 1:00 PM. After submitting your card, you do not have to be present to win. Additional details below:
Signed Football Jersey: Ravens Kicker Matt Stover
To enter to win this item, participants must pick up an entry card at registration, have their card stamped at least 7 vendors, and return completed card to registration before 1:00 PM.
Signed Print: Ravens Quarterback Joe Flacco
To enter to win this item, participants must pick up an entry card at registration, have their card stamped at least 7 screenings, and return completed card to registration before 1:00 PM.
Other Fun Activities:
- Laurel Fire Department Fire Truck (Weather Permitting)
- National Capital Therapy Dogs – Visit Pet Therapy Teams!
- Photo Booth
- Special Appearance by Sparky the Fire Dog with the Laurel Fire Department
- Teddy Bear Clinic by Nanticoke – “Healthcare” For Your Child’s Stuffed Animal
- Trap Pond State Park – Live animals!
- A Father’s Heart
- Allen Cancer Center at Nanticoke – Screening: Skin Damage Analysis
- Always Best Care
- Alzheimer’s Association – Delaware Valley Chapter
- American Heart Association
- Aquacare Physical Therapy
- Autism Delaware
- Azar Eye Institute– Screening: IOP – Checks for Glaucoma
- Bath Fitter
- Bay View Homecare, Inc.
- Blood Bank of Delmarva
- Brain Injury Association of Delaware
- Cancer Support Community Delaware
- Cardiac Catheterization Lab at Nanticoke – Screening: Ankle-Brachial Index (ABI) – Checks for Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Community Legal Aid Society, Inc. (CLASI)
- Compassionate Care Hospice at Amedisys
- Connections Community Support Programs, Inc.
- ContactLifeline, Inc.
- Delaware 2-1-1 – SPONSOR
- Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition
- Delaware Child Support Services
- Delaware Council on Gambling Problems
- Delaware Hospice
- Delaware Division of Public Health
- Delaware Division of Preparedness – Office of Preparedness
- Delaware Fatherhood & Family Coalition
- Delaware State Fire School
- Del-One Federal Credit Union
- DHSS/ DPH Diabetes & Heart Disease Prevention & Control Program
- Diabetes & Nutrition Education Department at Nanticoke
- Diagnostic Imaging at Nanticoke – Low Back Pain
- Domestic Violence Coordinating Council
- Edward Jones Investments
- Food Services at Nanticoke – Healthy Samples!
- Emergency Department & Forensic Nurse Examiner Program at Nanticoke
- Genesis HealthCare – Lofland Park Center
- Herl’s Bath & Tile Solutions
- Kent Sussex Community Services – Screening: Rapid HIV Test
- Laboratory Services at Nanticoke – Screening: Blood Draw – HA1C & Lipid Profile (12-hour fasting suggested)
- La Esperanza – Victim Support, Immigration & Youth Services
- Lakeside Physical Therapy – Screening: Grip Strength & Balance Testing
- La Red Health Center – Support Services
- Laurel Fire Department – Appearance by Sparky the Fire Dog & Fire Truck (Weather Permitting)
- Laurel High School Wellness Center
- Laurel Public Library
- Laurel School District – English Language Learners Program
- Laurel Senior Center
- Maxima 95.3 of The Voice Radio Network – SPONSOR Live Remote
- Mental Health Association in Delaware
- Morrison Chiropractic & Wellness Center
- Nanticoke Physician Network Care Coordination
- Nanticoke Physician Network – Screening: Hearing
- Nanticoke Primary Care: Laurel – Screening: Pediatric Blood Pressures, Height, Weight & BMI
- Nanticoke Senior Center
- Nanticoke Sleep Disorders Center
- National Capital Therapy Dogs – Pet Therapy Teams
- Orthopedic Services & Joint Camp at Nanticoke
- Patient Portal at Nanticoke
- Peninsula Home Care at Nanticoke – Screening: Blood Pressure Checks
- Peninsula Regional Lifeline
- Pivot Physical Therapy
- Quality Management at Nanticoke – Screening: Blood Pressure Checks
- Rehabilitation Services at Nanticoke – Screening: Grip Strength, Balance Testing & Proper Body Mechanics Demo
- SCHC Botvin Student Mentors
- Seaford Lion’s Club – Screening: Spot Vision Screener
- Senior Medicare Patrol
- State Farm – Kim Benton Agency
- Subway of Seaford, Inc.
- SUN Behavioral
- Sussex Montessori School
- Sussex Vet Center/ Department of Veterans Affairs Behavioral Health & Medical – Mobile Vet Center
- Teddy Bear Clinic by Nanticoke
- Telamon Corporation Delaware Head Start Programs
- The ARK Educational Resource Center
- The Body Shop Company
- The Duck 107.1 – Live Remote with Shane Walker
- The Premo Team (Meridian Bank)
- Tidewater Physical Therapy
- Trap Pond State Park – Live animals!
- UD Cooperative Extension
- US Renal Care
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency – Children’s Health Division
- VITAS Healthcare
- Volunteer Services at Nanticoke
- Walgreens – Screening: Blood Pressure Check
- WBOC 102.5 – Live Remote with Sarah Petros
- Western Sussex Chamber of Commerce
- Westside Family Healthcare
- Wound Care & Hyperbaric Center at Nanticoke
- YMCA Delaware – Diabetes Prevention Program
- YWCA Delaware
Free Screenings & Testing Offered to the Community
- Ankle-Brachial Index (ABI) – Checks for Peripheral Arterial Disease – Cardiac Catheterization Lab at Nanticoke
- Blood Pressure Checks – Quality Management at Nanticoke, Walgreens, Peninsula Home Care at Nanticoke
- Grip Strength & Balance Testing – Rehabilitation Services at Nanticoke & Lakeside Physical Therapy
- HA1C & Lipid Profile (Blood Draw; 12-Hour Fasting Suggested) – Laboratory Services at Nanticoke
- Hearing Screening – Nanticoke Physician Network
- Height, Weight & BMI, Pediatric Blood Pressures –Nanticoke Primary Care: Laurel
- IOP – Checks for Glaucoma – Azar Eye Institute
- Proper Body Mechanics Demo – Rehabilitation Services at Nanticoke
- Rapid HIV Screening – Kent Sussex Community Services
- Skin Damage Analysis – Allen Cancer Center at Nanticoke
- Spot Vision Screening – Seaford Lion’s Club
- Compares Pupil Size
- Checks Eye Structure Problems, Blurred Vision
- Checks Nearsightedness & Farsightedness
- Looks for Eye Misalignment
Nanticoke Grants a Wish
Nanticoke Health Services is offering a once-in-a-lifetime chance for one lucky local youth to have a special meet and greet with Baltimore Ravens linebacker Matt Judon at this year’s Heart of Good Health!
Nominations are now closed for the 2019 Nanticoke Grants a Wish program. Winners will be contacted privately. Thank you to all who submitted a nomination!