CANCER CARE COORDINATOR
The Care Coordinator helps connect patients and families with the support services they need.
- FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE: Helps patients manage medical bills, find prescription assistance, and complete applications for state financial assistance programs such as the Delaware Cancer Treatment Program, the Community Health Care Access Program (CHAP), and the Delaware ASSIST program.
- TRANSPORTATION ASSISTANCE: When needed, helps patients connect with transportation resources. If patients cannot afford to pay for transportation, the care coordinator helps connect them with transportation assistance through the Nanticoke Cancer Care Assistance Fund.
- CARE COORDINATION AND SUPPORT: Helps patients and families navigate the healthcare system, coordinate appointments and connect with support services like home care and support groups. The care coordinator connects patients and families with support agencies such as the Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition, the American Cancer Society, the Wellness Community, and area palliative care and hospice services.
CANCER NURSE NAVIGATOR
The Nurse Navigator connects our community with resources for cancer screenings.
- SCREENINGS: Helps enroll eligible patients in various screening programs like Delaware’s Screenings for Life and assists in removing barriers to screenings such as financial or transportation concerns.
- TRACK PATIENTS AT RISK: Patients diagnosed with abnormal cancer screening tests are monitored to continue to provide for future screening needs as dictated through standards of practice, the Delaware Cancer Consortium, and DHSS.
- PROVIDE PATIENT SUPPORT: In cooperation with care coordinator, helps cancer patients find the support services they need.
- COMMUNITY OUTREACH AND EDUCATION: You will see the nurse navigator, along with other members of the Cancer Care team, throughout the community providing education at local events and organizing community screening events.
PATIENT SUPPORT SERVICES
The Nanticoke Cancer Care Center and its community partners provide many patients and family support services including:
- Look Good, Feel Better: A Women’s Cancer Support Group (Official Website)
- Beginning Your Pink Ribbon Journey: A Breast Cancer Support Group (Official Website)
- The Next Step: Grief Support Group
- Peer Mentoring Support Program (for newly-diagnosed breast cancer patients)
- On-Site Cancer Resource Library
In addition, Nanticoke Cancer Care Center hosts a number of activities throughout the year to increase awareness and recognize the journey of cancer patients. Some of the most recognized are National Cancer Survivors Day events, the Breast Cancer Awareness Survivor’s Tea, Relay for Life, Shine a Light on Lung Cancer, and the Turning Sussex County Pink Walk to Gateway Park.