CANCER CARE COORDINATOR
The Care Coordinator helps connect patients and families with the support services they need.
- FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE: Helps patients manage medical bills, find prescription assistance, and complete applications for state financial assistance programs such as the Delaware Cancer Treatment Program, the Community Health Care Access Program (CHAP), and the Delaware ASSIST program.
- TRANSPORTATION ASSISTANCE: When needed, helps patients connect with transportation resources. If patients cannot afford to pay for transportation, the care coordinator helps connect them with transportation assistance through the Nanticoke Cancer Care Assistance Fund.
- CARE COORDINATION AND SUPPORT: Helps patients and families navigate the healthcare system, coordinate appointments and connect with support services like home care and support groups. The care coordinator connects patients and families with support agencies such as the Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition, the American Cancer Society, the Wellness Community, and area palliative care and hospice services.
PATIENT SUPPORT SERVICES
The Allen Cancer Center at Nanticoke and our community partners provide support services for patients and family including:
- Beginning Your Pink Ribbon Journey: A Breast Cancer Support Group
3rd Thursday of the month at 3:00 pm
Free class for newly-diagnosed breast cancer patients and their loved ones. Sponsored by the Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition in partnership with Nanticoke. Held at the Allen Cancer Center. Registration required. For more information and to register, call 302-644-6844.
- Continuing the Cancer Conversation
4th Tuesday of the month at 4:00 pm
Free support group for anyone affected by breast cancer including patients and caregivers. Sponsored by the Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition in partnership with Nanticoke. Held at the Allen Cancer Center. Registration required. For more information and to register, call 302-212-2947.
- Peer Mentoring Support Program (for newly-diagnosed breast cancer patients)
- On-Site Cancer Resource Library
In addition, the Allen Cancer Center at Nanticoke hosts several activities throughout the year to increase awareness and recognize the journey of cancer patients. Some of the most recognized are the National Cancer Survivors Day Celebration of Life, Breast Cancer Survivor’s Tea, Shine a Light, and the Pink Ribbon Breast Cancer Awareness Walk.